Saturday, December 18, 2010

Gingerbread Houses!

Our friend from FHE Kassidy had never made a gingerbread house and she really wanted to this year.  I remembered that my Grandmama has the BEST gingerbread recipe. It is soft, and doesn't have an overpowering "spice" flavor, and yet still tastes gingery.  I told her to come on over so we could bake/decorate the day away. We also lucked out and 2 of our friends that work, conveniently had the day off. Can you say PARTY!?!?! If you consider 3 babies, a one year old, two 4yr olds, and 4 mommas a party and not a crazy house!  Everyone was in charge of bringing a bag or 2 of candy and something for our potluck. I was in charge of making the gingerbread and showing everyone how to build them.  All of the houses turned out great!

Remember little Zander...he is not so little anymore!  Can you believe he was 3 1/2lbs when he was born? Just think about this, we used 2lbs of powdered sugar (one bag) for the frosting on our houses. Crazy, I know! He is so talented to. Look how he holds his bottle with all of his extremities!
 The 4yr olds...probably had the most fun of anyone because we let them eat candy, cookies, frosting, and cheetos...ALL DAY LONG. They each decorated a house of their own as well.
 Oh the anticipation, can you feel it?!
 Decorating supplies...not even the half of them.
 Bristol just ate pears the whole time...a giant marshmallow may or may not have gotten mixed in there somewhere :)
 Look at this girl. She did great frosting her house all by herself.


 This is my house. I get the award for...best roof.
 Kassidy's house. Award: Most Creative. Look at the fire, shrubs, and snowman arms. Also, look at the windows and snow on the roof! (Not bad for her first gingerbread house)
 Close up of that cute snowman! We all copied her by the way.
 Jamie's house. Award: finishing the house before eating it :) She said she normally eats it as she goes.
 Lisette's House. Award: I am not sure what to call this award, but lets just say she was holding Zander for the majority of the day and somehow her house looks great despite having Mr.Grabby Hands in her lap. Also, I love the candy canes.
I see a tradition in the making.

No comments: