We see this face a lot.
Before I start, let me say, I love my baby! This is not a complaint, more just a documentation.
I know what you are thinking, "babies cry" what's the big deal. The truth is, that Bristol is crabby more than she is happy. I am not exaggerating either.
When you think of a newborn what do you think of?
a quiet cry
cuddly
can't hold their head up
sleeps all day
Bristol never did any of this stuff. She's had a loud cry since the day she was born. She was holding her head up looking around when she was born, she didn't like cuddling unless she was nursing, and she rarely slept for more than 1 hour or 1.5 hrs at a time for the first 2.5 months.
I remember being in the hospital exhausted from labor and wanting to sleep. Bristol woke up so I fed her and burped her. She then cried and cried and cried. I thought...isn't someone going to come take the baby and get her to stop crying? Then I realized that no one was going to "save" me. I didn't need "saving" I am her mother after all, I should know what to do, because moms always know what to do...right? The next night I sent her to the nursery because I got zero sleep during the day. An hour later the nurse came in and said she would not stop crying and if I did not allow them to give her a pacifier than they were going to bring her back to me. I told them to give her a paci, which I guess she took because they didn't bring her back for another 2 hours so I could feed her.
After having her home for a week, I was completely wiped out. She would not sleep and she cried all day. Several times over the next 3 months my mom, Jason's mom, and one of my friends came out for a day or 2 at a time to come hold her while I tried to nap. A few times I even went and stayed at my mom's because I was having melt downs.
I used to sleep on the couch with Bristol wrapped with a blanket to my chest in the recliner seat. About every hour she would wake up to cry, so I would feed her. I was so tired. I was so frustrated. I was so confused. I did this for over a month.
On day, my mom was spending the weekend with us. Bristol screamed, not cried, screamed for hours. I had the biggest headache from lack of sleep, my eyes were burning, and I was crying. I couldn't stop either. I was miserable. My mom just kept telling me "it's going to be ok" I wanted to believe her but I couldn't.
It makes me sad to think about that night. I just wanted to disappear, to run away. Of course I didn't run away, and I'm not going to. It was just a very low point for me.
Jason and I had waited for 3 years for this little girl to come to our family and we were all supposed to be happy and perfect. I just wasn't. Of course I loved our baby, I just didn't think I could handle one more scream, or cry. I guess I did because here I am living to tell about it :)
Now that 5.5 months has gone by...she still cries a bunch but at least she sleeps better, which means I am actually sleeping. It's only for 3hrs increments but I can't complain. Once in a while she will sleep for 6 hrs strait....and boy do I feel rested when she does.
I suppose I felt like rambling tonight. While Bristol does cry a lot, she is also sweet when she is not crying. I will post pictures of her being happy tomorrow. Also, if you see more pictures of her being fussy, just know that I am done with trying to pretend that she is always in a good mood and only posting the "happy" pictures. I'll get the pictures that I get and I won't throw a fit! Or maybe I will...

6 comments:
Oh how I KNOW how you feel!! I felt the EXACT same way with Kaili. Jason and I spent MANY nights rocking, cuddling, bathing, swinging, swaying, putting her in a front back letting her sleep in our bed. We tried EVERYTHING and even when we had medicine for her acid reflux she still cried, still screamed, & there was nothing we could do about it to make her happy. Even when we lived in our own house just as soon as I got her to sleep ANY little noise would wake her up and then the screaming began. I too felt like running away, or just wanting to give her back saying this is the wrong baby she's suppose to be happy and snuggly but she's not :( I feel your pain and frustration! And those who've never had a cranky baby like we have had will NEVER know what it's like!
You ARE doing a great job as a mom I'd offer you advice but I'm sure you've tried everything too. It will get better I promise!! Kaili is still more whining then Emily is and I doubt that will ever change I think it's part of her personality now lol. I love you Char and you are AMAZING woman and WAY more patient that I could ever be. You're doing great and I know Bristol loves you too. It will get better I KNOW ;) once she's able to entertain herself you'll be a happier mommy!!
Love the honesty of this & I'm so sorry you had a rough start--but in awe of your strength. Sounds like your Bristol is a "high needs" baby. I love the Dr. Sears books and he talks about gentle parenting for babies that need more. Also, your collage is still super cute and so is Bristol!
oh no, you poor dear! I wish I could come take her off your hands for you so you can nap! I really liked babywise and the happiest baby on the block. but sometimes even those books don't help. i wonder what the doc has said to all the fussing? my friend cut out dairy and that solved the problem but babies are all so different. i sure wish we could birth a manual too! now you make me nervous for another one....I am right there with you, I can't handle the screaming!
Oh, you poor dear! Lack of sleep is AWFUL! Hmmm, I wonder why that baby is crabby. She should be the happiest thing ever with you as her mommy! Hugs to you little mama.
I am glad you said something cause no one ever does. Everyone makes you think it will be perfect when you come home but it never is. Everyone has problems and every baby is different. I think every mother has a story like yours. My girls are just like Bristol and my boy was an angel baby. It's hard but it is worth repeating time and time again. And the fact that you didn't give up and you are still there and love her, shows what a GREAT MOMMY you are! I am so glad you have a supportive family and a husband that love you! Being a mommy isn't easy, but it is the best gift and trial I have ever had!
She does have a cute cry face. : ) Hang in there mamma! You are doing a great job with little Bristol bear.
Post a Comment