Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Birth Story.




So I had my post due date doctors appointment at 10am on Tuesday 22 June 2010. I was supposed to do a non-stress test to make sure the baby was still doing well. The only problem is that my baby was not a big "mover" and she slept through the whole 20 min. strip. She needed to be awake...So they sent me to get an ultrasound instead. The baby had 30 minutes to make 6 small movements such as moving her foot or waving, 3 big movements like a kick or punch, practice breathing (move diaphragm), and they check fluid levels.

It took Bristol 22 mins to complete this, not a bad thing, she just didn't want to wake up :)

After that I had my follow-up with the doctor. She said the baby was good but that my fluid was pretty low and we should start taking about induction. I didn't know she meant that she wanted to induce me THAT DAY!

When she walked out of the room she said "ok, I will call the hospital and let them know you are on your way."

Jason and I looked at each other with big eyes, and smiles. We couldn't believe that our baby girl was "that" close to our arms!

We left the doctors office and called our parents to let them know "today is the day!" Of course they were all beside themselves.

We had already planned to have lunch with Jason's parents at our favorite place, Gecko Grill. So we continued on with that plan because I knew once I got to the hospital they wouldn't let me eat anything.

I gorged on chips and salsa and BBQ chicken and then headed home to get my hospital bag. I cleaned a little too and watered the garden. Then off to the hospital we went!

We got to the hospital around 4:30pm and as I was checking in, someone came up to the registration desk and asked if I was Charlotte Clawson, I said yes and they told the other worker that I was a direct admit and not to bother with "re-registering me" to just send me up they were waiting for me in L&D.

When I got up there, all of the nurses said "hello Charlotte, we've been waiting for you all afternoon!" I felt a little silly that it took me so long to get there.

I felt kind of special because I was the only person on the labor side of maternity ward. I had all the nurses at my beck and call! Heaven!

Pretty soon after I got settled in my room, our families started showing up. Of course they all weren't going to stay the ENTIRE time most of them were there to just help pass the time.

I really didn't want to start Pitocin right away so I opted for a prostaglandin gel which I got around 6 pm. They made me lay down for an hour after I got the gel and then I walked around and walked the stairs 2 steps at a time for an hour. Then I had to get "monitored for 20 mins which really ended up being an hour because the baby kept moving and the monitors would have to be readjusted.

During time my water broke spontaneously! (8:10pm) Woo Hoo! I was REALLY excited about this because it meant my body was working on its own!

I bounced on an exercise ball for 30 mins. Then I got up to walk again! I really wanted to get this labor going.

My mom and Jason's mom held and refilled my water bottle while Jason held my hand and supported me through contractions, Meradith helped me relax and breathe through the contractions.

We continued on this way for about 2 hours. Then the contractions started getting REALLY intense. They were 90 seconds long and I only had about 30 seconds between them. It was rough! Thankfully it was all in my belly and not in my back!

I was sure that I was getting close to pushing so I asked the nurse to check my cervix...I was only at a 4cm. I was a little bummed because I really wanted to go completely natural but I couldn't imagine going on like that for more than an hour or two.

The nurse said she thought she should start the pitocin at that point and I agreed. (10:15ish pm) After an hour of that I was really dying! I asked everyone in the room but Jason to leave, he helped me walk to the bathroom because I really had to go. I had 10 contractions between leaving my bed and getting back in it...maybe more. Oh I was in pain. I told Jason "I think I want an epidural" I was balling because I really didn't want one but I was in so much pain and I just lost it and got a little crazy. I couldn't stop crying but I was still in control...ok I wasn't that crazy! The nurse, my mom, Jason's mom, and Meradith came back in and I held it together for a little while longer. I guess in the back of my mind I thought that I would somehow dilate speedy fast and that I could do it with out the epi...I lasted another hour and then I was uncontrollably crying and I couldn't even breathe through contractions anymore they were so bad.

I finally broke down and asked for the epidural. The anesthesiologist must have been waiting for me to call him because he was there in record time. Thank GOODNESS!

So at midnight I got the epidural...I felt 3 more terrible contractions and then I couldn't feel them anymore. I remember saying "hey Jason, it's the 23rd!" Not sure why I was excited about that but it is my memory.

They had me wear an oxygen mask all night and at one point I begged the nurse to let me take it off as well as the blood pressure cuff and my pulse monitor so I could floss, brush my teeth and wash my face. She laughed but she finally let me. A girl's gotta take care of her hygiene, right!?

About an hour after that they turned the pitocin off because it was distressing the baby, and they made me put this huge exercise ball between my legs to help the baby get in the right position.

Lets just say I was not super comfortable that night. I didn't get any sleep either :( Oh well, Jason did, but none of the ladies.

The good news is that I kept progressing on my own which I was very happy about.

The rest of the night was a blur of me getting turned over every hour, monitors beeping and that stupid oxygen mask drying out my mouth.

Around 6 am I said "look the sun is coming up!" The nurse came in soon after that and checked me. I was a 9.5cm. I told everyone to wake Jason up before he missed anything!

I started crying again because I knew that there was no turning back now!

I started pushing, then they brought the mirror in so I could see what I was doing. I pushed better after that.

Then Bristol was born at 6:51am! It was amazing and I couldn't believe how big she was! She had chocolate brown eyes and big hands, and hair! Those were the first things I noticed about her...as well as how huge she was.


There is the big, long story! Hope you enjoyed.


9 comments:

Jodie said...

I'm so happy for you, and it sounds like everything turned out just right. I hope you don't regret your epidural at all! We do what we gotta do and as long as there is a healthy baby at the end, that's all that really matters! Congratulations and I can't wait to see more pictures of your darling girl!

Nikki said...

I love baby stories! I know it is painful, but I love being in labor! I am bringing a baby into this world! I sob uncontrollably when the pain gets to bad. Unfortunately, upidurals don't work on me. SO I just continue to cry, alot! My first was over 9 pounds and the first thing I thought was "Man, she is huge!" I love your story and I am so happy for you and Jason!!!

The Watkins said...

Love your story! Your little Bristol is so darling! Congrats!

Anonymous said...

Whew! You are one tough cookie!!! It was all worth it though. :) She's a doll!

Amber said...

Thanks for sharing!! Congratulations again, so happy for you! I'm so glad your contractions and labor was in your belly - mine was in my back and it was horrible. There is NOTHING wrong with getting an epidural, you lasted longer than most women! I am required to do the epidural or spinal block now (if we ever get pregnant again) because the car accident last year broke my back and buldged 5 discs. Anyway, so glad you're all safe and happy!!

Eve and Tim DeLoach x2 said...

so happy she arrived safely!!!

CANDACE said...

Loved reading your birth story! Kept asking Alisha for updates when she was on her way out to visit us. Congratulations!

The McLemore's said...

SO excited for you Charlotte!!!!

Benjamin Hunsaker said...

wow, I can't believe you wanted to do it w/o drugs. you go girl! I was in labor at home for over 12 hours and that was the worse pain ever. I got to 4cm and the pain was horrible. I don't know why it's so bad for some people and then nothing for others at so little dialation. maybe b/c I was 100% effaced and she was sunny side up, not sure. anyway, not something i ever want to feel again and am so thankful for drugs! :)